The winners of the 21st Century Icon Awards were unveiled on 13th September 2019. Tarun Ghulati and Preeti Rana Co-Founders of Squared Watermelon Ltd and the 21st Century Icon Awards hosted London’s Premier Black Tie Gala Dinner at the Rosewood London.
The 21st Century Icon Awards are global, unique, distinctive and celebrate success of the next generation by recognising dynamic entrepreneurs and successful individuals, helping them to keep growing and competing on the world stage. The Awards are regarded as the ultimate platform to connect the next generation of inspiring leaders and businesses.
Around 300 business leaders, celebrities, socialites, film stars, sports champions, thought leaders and politicians all gathered to witness the glittering, scintillating and exhilarating Awards ceremony. The Awards symbolise and embody true success and have been acclaimed internationally. The ballroom was awe-inspiring with large imposing screens all part of an immaculate stage and set, the atmosphere electric and the awards were orchestrated with flair and elegance.
Over 700 Nominations were received and the Nomination Panel narrowed the Nominations to 44 Finalists. The Panel of Judges met at the London Stock Exchange on 19th August 2019 and decided on 18 winners. Finalists came from 22 countries-UK, India, USA, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Egypt, Tanzania, Columbia, Russia, Turkey, Germany, France, Sri Lanka, Serbia, China, Belgium, Trinidad and Tobago, Romania, Korea, Ukraine and Ghana.
The esteemed Panel of Judges includes: Rt Hon. Baroness Verma of Leicester (Member of the House of Lords), David Sayer (Vice Chairman KPMG), Hugo van Vredenburch (Chairman of Interactive Investor Former Partner and Managing Director Goldman Sachs), Ibukun Adebayo (Co-Head Emerging Markets International Markets Unit London Stock Exchange), Tom Tyler (Global Head of Sales, ELITE London Stock Exchange Group), Denise Lewis OBE (Former British Olympic Champion), Dr. Amin Jaffer (Senior Curator of Al Thani Collection & Former International Director of Asian Art at Christie’s), William Asprey (Chairman of William & Son), Nick Ogden (Founder and Chairman, ClearBank®), Stephen Ball (Global Lead Partner, KPMG), Tessy Ojo (CEO, The Diana Award).
The winners of the 21st Century Icon Awards 2019 are:
- Sonu Nigam, Indian Playback Singer, India, won the Magnificent Performing Arts Award handed over by Tarun Ghulati and Preeti Rana. Tarun is a former Deputy Chairman of a Bank and Head of HSBC’s operations for 16 countries. Preeti is an international Marketer, Creative Director, Entertainment Guru, Media Coordinator and IT Consultant.
- Charlotte Crosswell, CEO, Innovate Finance, UK, won the Specialist Professional Award handed over by Anton Ruddenklau, Partner and Global Co-Leader for Fintech, KPMG.
- Kalli Purie, Vice Chairperson, India Today Group, India, won the Outstanding Media and Entertainment Award handed over by Tarun Ghulati and Preeti Rana.
- Caroline Plumb OBE, Founder and CEO, Fluidly, UK, won the ELITE Rising Star Award handed over by Tom Tyler, Global Head of Sales, ELITE, London Stock Exchange Group.
- Angelo Cardona, Peace and Disarmament Activist, Colombia, won the Inspirational Icon Award accepted by Alberto Portugheis, two time Nobel Peace Prize Nominee and Piano Maestro, and handed over by Her Excellency The High Commissioner of Sri Lanka Manisha Gunasekara.
- Akshay Jatia, Director, WestLife Development, India, won the Dedicated Stalwart Award handed over by Ibukun Adebayo,Co-Head Emerging Markets International Markets Unit, London Stock Exchange Group.
- Asha De Vos, Marine Biologist, Ocean Educator and Pioneer Blue Whale Research within the Indian Ocean, Sri Lanka, won the Inspirational Icon Award handed over by Her Excellency The High Commissioner of Sri Lanka Manisha Gunasekara.
- Matthew Clare, Co-Founder and Director, Arlington Energy Ltd., UK, won the Astute Finance & Investments Award handed over by Rt Hon Baroness Sandip Verma, Member of the House of Lords.
- Ahmed Mohamed Fathelbab, Managing Director, ELFateh For Industries and Steel Constructions, Egypt, won the Relentlessly Resolute Award handed over by Stephen Ball, Global Lead Partner, KPMG.
- Daren Ganga, Chairman, Daren Ganga Foundation, Trinidad and Tobago, won the Generous Philanthropist Award handed over by Rt. Hon Baroness Prashar, Member of the House of Lords.
- Evgeny Chichvarkin, Founder and Director, Hedonism Wines and Hide Restaurant, Russia/UK, won the Savvy Luxury Award handed over by Dr. David Landsman, Chairman, The British-Serbian Chamber of Commerce, Former Diplomat and MD, Tata Limited.
- Allen Kambuni, Co-Founder and Director, Bean Interactive Limited, Kenya, won the Innovator Technology Award handed over by Prof. Peter Virdee, Founding Partner B&S Property, a Global Property Management and Holding company.
- Rachael Burford, Rugby Player and Founder, Burford Academy, UK, won the Competitive Sports Award handed over by Jacqui Agyepong, two time Olympic and Commonwealth Games Champion.
- Elena Mustatea and Dr. Obinna Joseph Onwude, Co-Founders, Bold Health, UK, won the Innovator Technology Award handed over by Rt. Hon Baroness Sandip Verma.
- Mariya Dykalo, Creative Director, Aspinal of London, UK, won the Exquisite Art & Fashion Award handed over by Tarun Ghulati and Preeti Rana.
- Judy Joo,Chef, Restauranteur, Author and Television Personality, UK, won the Exceptional Travel & Hospitality Award handed over by Stephen Ball.
- Sarah Collins, Founder and CEO, Wonderbag LLC, South Africa, won the Ardent Techie Award handed over Ibukun Adebayo.
- Isha Rajpal, Founder and Design Director, Rose Room Couture, India, won the Squared Watermelon Award handed over by Tarun Ghulati and Preeti Rana.
The evening was attended by professionals, successful entrepreneurs, celebrities, politicians, film stars, sports personalities and thought leaders. The Awards are a perfect melange of a social and corporate event. Attendees included Baroness Lidia Antunes-Frederico, Lizzie Cundy, Debbie Dove-Fiorentino, Ron Brand, Christian Vit, Jilly Johnson, Helen Lebeder, Jess Impiazzi, Tonia Buxton, Kym Mazelle, Per H. Hansen, Princess Bertha Logan-Owusu, Sheriff Vincent Keaveny, Nick Anstee, Mohamed Amersi, Sheetal Mafatlal, Alberto Portugheis, Aftab and Nazli Jafferjee, Patricia Rozario, Clifford Slapper, Yuri Buzzi, Fares Al-Ayadhi, Khaled Alwazzan were among the guests.
Key partners were ELITE, London Stock Exchange Group, Jack Barclay Bentley and Stefano Ricci. Coco-Cola was a key sponsor.
Tarun Ghulati, Founder, President and Chief Executive Officer and Preeti Rana, Founder, Chief Creative Officer, Squared Watermelon Ltd said, “It gives us tremendous satisfaction that the Awards are internationally acclaimed with the high calibre of finalists/winners, the global leaders making up the panel of judges, the notable partners and the world wide media coverage. The next generation of leaders and businesses are truly inspiring and we are absolutely thrilled to be a part of their journey and continued success”.