Xuan Thu Nguyen is a talented Dutch-Vietnamese fashion designer and the founder of the brands “Xuan” and “Paris Re Made” who used to participate at many fashion events such as the Paris Fashion Week.
FabUK Magazine had the chance to meet Xuan Thu Nguyen at her atelier in Paris and today presents an exclusive interview with her.
- How would you describe your new brand “Paris ReMade”? Paris re Made is about much more than what you see, more than a fashion brand. Our goal is to create a community with a new way of looking at fashion and will re value what they buy and wear. It is about creating a collection and a lifestyle to express not to impress. We source vintage garments and pieces by high-end luxury brands, as well as deadstock designer fabrics and turning them into re designed pieces directly in our studio in Paris. We want to tell a story about clothes being re loved, re appreciated and re worn. Respecting the brands we work with.
- How do you want people to feel when wearing your clothes from PRM? That you wear a piece of a history, that you are revaluing the design and that you contribute to less waste.
- Where do you look for creative inspiration? Inspiration comes from the vintage pieces/designs we work with. You have to look at their caracteric details and find the best way to make it come out even more by putting them in a more updated version. There is so much inspiration in the way they were made or in the details of the shapes.
- Is it hard to stay innovative? Don’t think you have to see or think in that way. It will only block you. I prefer to just let the creativity flow and find different ways to make it work.
- Is being creative a pure talent or can be learned?
I think every person is capable of creating. You just need to focus on that certain part of your abilities. Some people are better in developing it than others.
- What’s next for the brand? We are working on a worldwide project, a new edition of our Paris re Made collective. Coming up soon!
- What aspects of the nowadays fashion industry would you like to change?
The pressure of the constant production.
- How is working in fashion different today than from when you started out?
Nowadays you need to show a full story package. It is not only making a collection anymore but you need to have a strong image, social media is at it highest, being creative on commercial aspect… a full-on package.
- What was your biggest fear when going out and starting your new brand?
No fear at all, just excitement to really start another story next to my couture collection XUAN, which is totally more focused on a circular fashion/lifestyle. It gives me so much energy and creative impulses.
- What advice do you give to the young designers?
Believe in what you do and do it with passion. Everything takes time to grow.
Discover Paris RE Made on Instagram: @parisremade on Web: www.parisremade.fr
Interviewed and Photography by Christina V Henningstad
Model: Nina Belo
Model Agency: Charme De La Mode
Makeup: Serguei Chatel
Stylist: Mila Eva