Learn to style your hair like a barber
When it comes to styling men’s hair, nobody does a better job than a barber. We all lean back into the comfy cushions of their chairs and watch in awe as they manipulate our miserable mops into styles that are fit for the catwalks. Even Beckham would be proud. But after one magnificent evening of appreciation, our inability to maintain these masterpieces is exposed. This leaves us with flat lifeless hair until our next appointment. Thankfully, times are changing.
As men, we are starting to take a more invested interest in our appearance. The result? Our barbers are starting to take the time to educate us in the wizardry of hair styling. Well, the good barbers are anyway. To show you that it’s possible to get a barbershop-quality style from the comfort of your own home, The Bluebeards Revenge male grooming brand has enlisted the help of award-winning barber Tom Chapman. Below, he shares his styling secrets with you.
Before you can boast barbershop-quality hair at home, you’ll need a few essential products and tools:
- A good shampoo and conditioner.
- A pre-styling product such as hair gel or sea salt spray.
- A hairdryer.
- A vent brush or quiff roller.
- A finishing product of your choice such as matt clay or pomade.
Wash your hair properly
The first step to achieving flawless hair is to make sure you are working from a clean canvas. Boasting long clean locks himself, Tom clearly practices what he preaches. He suggests, “using a premium shampoo and conditioner to help remove the build-up of products that come with everyday styling.” It’s also worth noting that a refreshing shower in the morning will help to neutralise any oily build-ups from the day before, and any unnatural patters/partings that develop while sleeping.
Pre-style and blow dry your hair
One of the main differences between the mess you create and the masterpiece your barber sculpts is their use of a hairdryer, brush, and a pre-styling product. Adding a little product to support your clean damp hair before blasting it with heat will help to lock it in place and add volume and texture. There are many products you could use for this process, but the main three Tom suggests are hair gel, matt paste and sea salt spray.
According to Tom you should always look to follow this routine.
- “Dry your hair with a towel before running a pea-sized amount of your chosen pre-styling product through your hair. Make sure it is evenly distributed throughout your hair as well.”
- “Use a hairdryer with a nozzle on a high speed and high heat. Holding your hairdryer in one hand. and a vent brush in the other, brush and blast your hair in the direction that you want it to sit. Be sure to keep the hairdryer moving at all times to avoid applying too much heat in one place.”
- “Once the hair is in place and you’re happy with the shape you have created, leave it to cool a little. Your hair sets when it cools down and becomes pliable and mouldable when warm.”
Use a ‘finishing product’ for the perfect barbershop style
Thanks to the evolution of men’s grooming there are more styling products at your fingertips then you could ever imagine. From clays to pomades the list is endless. A little experimentation might be required, but in time you will find the one that’s perfect for you. Once you do, it’s important that you add a little to your hair after every blow dry.
Tom says: “Grab your favourite product and evenly apply a pea-sized amount to your hair. Remember, you can add more but you can’t take it out, so be reserved! Use your hands to manipulate your hair in to place for a barbershop-quality finish at home.”
This final step is what separates flat hair from fame-worthy hair. A little of your favourite product flicked through the tips of your hair will help to add the extra definition needed to turn heads all day long.
Enjoy the barbershop experience at home
With The Bluebeards Revenge you can maximise your attempts to master barbershop-quality styling. The brand’s extensive range of professional products will help you to define your style all year round.