We have weeks, if not months, where our working life is going to be disrupted – but we will be back in the salon with our amazing clients before you know it! And while the sun may have come out and you’re bingeing on box sets, it’s actually the perfect opportunity to become the hairdresser you have always wanted to be. “Working in a salon is busy, with constant client demands, a booming column and training eating into your free time,” says Sally Brooks, co-owner, Brooks & Brooks, London. “Now, you have as much free time as you want, so use it wisely. Take some time to reflect on the type of hairdresser you are – and who you want to be. Utilize what’s available to you so when you return to work, you are stronger than ever!”
Sally’s tips for using your free time to become the hairdresser you want to be.
- Online classes – thanks to social media there is an abundance of free online classes. Whether it balayage or bridal wear, haircuts or hairstyling, some of the industry’s most talented educators are offering their advice and expertise in regular online sessions.
- Keep in touch – as well as staying in touch with your colleagues and your team, make sure
you stay in touch with other business owners, stylists and the industry as a whole. Everyone
feels like they are alone, but this is such an amazing industry and we are all going through
- Stay updated – check out digital magazines and websites to find out what is happening in the industry. As well as Coronavirus, people are talking about rebuilding businesses, offering their expertise and reassuring messages.
- Podcasts – there are some great podcasts to listen to, from hairdressing to wellbeing, to fashion and music and life in general. Build up a list to regularly listen to, so you stay motivated and excited about what the future could bring.
- Turn down the negativity – if you belong to a social page or group, and the negativity is getting you down, then turn it off and step away. Life is a challenge for everyone right now, and while we have to be realistic, we also need to be positive.