Lush jungles, ancient ruins, sparkling beaches and vibrant cities are what holiday dreams are made of, across Latin America. While the weather can be unpredictable, downpours and storms are usually short-lived. For the most part, you can look forward to tropical temperatures during the day and pleasantly cool nights.
Elle Voyage is a travel company exclusively for women who long to have an adventure, discover different cultures, visit diverse continents, stumble across breath-taking landscapes and immerse themselves with memories that last a lifetime. Today Elle Voyage owner and tour specialist Dawn Simone, is sharing her top five essential items to take with you to South America.
- Clothes for all weathers – packing for Latin America requires a little bit of everything due to the incredible variety of activities you’ll do in any one trip. You’ll need comfortable light clothing to hike, thermal layers for colder temperatures and at night, beachwear and casual day wear. You definitely need to bring a waterproof jacket just in case!
- Shoes – it is imperative that you bring comfortable and sturdy trainers or hiking boots to protect your feet and ankles while making long distance walking more comfortable. To help with comfort it’s best to break in any new shoes before you leave for your adventure. It’s always handy to have flip flops for the beach and sandals to mill around in during the day
- Medicines – you can buy most things from chemists while on your trip but there are some things that are more expensive and lower in quality so it’s best to bring them from home! They are Mosquito repellent, sun cream, tampons, prescription medicine and cosmetics for sensitive skin.
- Accessories – essential accessories include a hat, sunglasses and a beach towel. A scarf or sarong usually comes in handy, to keep the sun away at the beach or wrap around your shoulders for cooler nights. Other than that, it’s usually best to leave valuable items, like jewellery or expensive watches, at home.
- Backpack – make sure you bring a backpack or a suitable day bag with you so you can carry everything you might need on your journey to adventure!