London, England. Traditionally associated with impeccable style and manners, ‘gentleman’ as a term is being redefined in the modern era. The UK’s leading men’s luxury destination, Gentleman’s Journal, surveyed 2,000 respondents in the UK to find out the qualities that define a gentleman in 2017.
Key findings include:
- 77% of respondents believe being considerate and attentive to the needs of others is the defining mark of a gentleman
- Chivalry isn’t dead – 68% think men SHOULD still open doors and offer their jacket to women
- Laddish behaviour and drunkenness is the biggest turn-off, according to 77% of women
- According to 42% of those surveyed, a gentleman never takes his phone out at the dinner table
- More men than women think gentlemen should be supportive of feminism
Respondents also offered their views on what constitutes gentlemanly behaviour in the world of dating and whether it’s ever acceptable to date somebody you work with. Two-thirds of respondents frown upon dating within the workplace but 7% believe it’s ok to date the director of the company you work for.
When it comes to what to wear on a date, an overwhelming majority list smart casual as the best attire and half of respondents said that they didn’t care how much was spent on the date, with only 7% of female respondents saying that they’d expect to be taken to an expensive restaurant. Almost a third of respondents believe that making sure that a date makes it home safely is the most important thing for a gentleman to do on a date.
Gentleman’s Journal editor-in-chief, Harry Jarman says of the findings: “Our study shows that whilst the definition of what makes a gentleman has evolved, there’s still a place for traditional chivalrous values in the modern era.”
For a complete guide to dating like a gentleman, visit Gentleman’s Journal
About the Gentleman’s Journal
Aimed at the discerning reader, the Gentleman’s Journal is the UK’s leading men’s luxury destination, covering everything from fashion, style & grooming, food & drink, business, to lifestyle and travel.